Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the birth of Gabriel Lee (part 1)

I had my 39 week appointment on Thursday, May 10.  I was 39+2 days and was anxious to get checked and see if everything I had been doing was helping me along.  My Dr. basically told me that I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  Good news to hear, and my Dr. said she thought I would go into labor soon.

I ran a couple of errands then headed home to pick up my boy and spend some last minute "only child" time with him.  That afternoon we headed to the park in Lamar.  My mom went with us and we had fun chasing Code around.  We picked up some dinner and went back to my parents to eat.  Doug was working late, so we visited for a bit and decided to head home a little after 6.

When we got home, I made myself a glass of licorice tea and gave Cody a bath.  We snuggled on the couch together until daddy got home.  After Cody went to bed, I sat around on my birth ball for a while, hoping to get things going.  I went to use the restroom at 9:45 and made the discovery that I lost my mucus plug.  I came out and told Doug.  I mentioned that it wasn't really any indication that labor would start soon, but it is a start.  Doug went to bed, and I stayed up and took a nice relaxing bath.  I didn't sleep well that night.  I was having quite a bit of pressure and just didn't feel like myself, so I got up around 4:15 and paid our electric bill.  As I was writing the check, I felt uncomfortable pressure and then had fluid running down my leg and into a puddle on the floor.  Well, I knew I hadn't peed myself...it was my water breaking! (funny thing...I was standing in almost the same place I was when my water broke with Cody). 

I decided early on not to rush to the hospital this time.  So, I started some laundry and packed most of the bags in the car (I didn't wake Doug up to let him know, he needed some sleep!).  I started having contractions around 5:15 am, but they were about 10 minutes apart and nothing strong.  Around 6 am, I took a warm shower...I just took my time, shaved my legs and let the warm water relax me.  

As I headed to our bedroom to get ready (yes, I fixed my hair and put makeup on) Doug woke up and I explained to him what was going on.  I told him that I was going to call my Dr. when they opened at 8 am and see what they wanted me to do from there.  So Doug headed to work.  I got Cody up and fixed him breakfast and then called the Dr.  She wanted me to come in, the sooner the better.  I called Doug to tell him to come home and called my mom to let her know what was going on as well. 

We dropped Cody off at Doug's parents house, and he gave me hugs and kisses (making me almost start crying).  We made it to Joplin and were in the Dr.'s office by 9:30 am.  At this time, my contractions were starting to get stronger and were 5-7 minutes apart.  Dr. Fogarty checked me and said I was 3 cm and 80% effaced.  And also checked to make sure my water did break.  She confirmed that it had, but there was still a "pocket" of water that baby's head was blocking.  She wasn't sure if it would end up breaking on its own, or if she would have to break it in the hospital.  I got dressed and she told us that this was indeed it, and she had called ahead to let the hospital know. 

We got to the hospital and I was wheeled to labor and delivery, met my labor nurse, got my clothes changed and hopped into bed.

The fun was just beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment