Monday, October 25, 2010

Our Birth Story - Part 3

After the nurse told us that I was at 9 cm, Doug called his dad, and we made sure that my dad was on his way to the hospital.  We were really surprised that I was almost ready - and so excited!  It didn't seem like any time at all had passed, and the nurse had told the Dr. that we were ready. 

My mom and Doug were in the delivery room with me.  Doug was holding one of my legs up, and after a little while of the nurse holding the other leg, my mom offered.  So here we were - mom on one side, Doug on the other, and me holding both legs up, because my epidural worked, but I could still feel my legs to help! 

Dr. Fogarty came in, and my nurse pretty much told her that she needed to get into her scrubs.  Once I was ready to start pushing, they told me, and I pushed with all I could.  I asked the nurse before we started to put the mirror up so that I could see - and I'm so glad that I did.  I ended up pushing for less than 30 minutes before Cody arrived.

Being able to see it happen, and to have Doug and my mom both be able to experience it was just amazing!  When I pushed him out, they put him on my stomach and I was able to hold this precious little guy that Doug
& I had made!  That is something that I will never forget!  Holding my son for the first time, right after I delivered him was one of the best days of my life!

Doug got to cut his cord, and then they took him to check him over.  He was perfect in every way.  We got to spend some time with him, and then our parents came in the delivery room.  Seeing all of them with Cody was just amazing.  We had a good hour with him before they took him to the nursery. 

I was wheeled to my room (and got to hear the lullaby song while they pushed me there).  Once we got to my room, they let me rest while Cody stayed in the nursery.  Doug & I got to see him later in the afternoon.

I still can't believe that he is here!  But I also can't imagine life without him.  Funny how that works.  I have had so many nights without sleep - but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I love Cody Douglas Stefan with all my heart, and I don't know what I would do without him!

I'm so thankful that God let us help him create this wonderful blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment