Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Birthday eve

Can it really be the eve of my baby's birthday? I thought it was supposed to be 365 days until then...wait, it has been 365ish days? I don't believe it! Now he is officially less than 24 hours from turning one. As a new mother, I knew this day would come. Just after birth, I thought "cherish every moment, a year is going to fly by". And it has. Nothing can prepare you for motherhood and all that comes with it. But it's that unknown...the complete unpreparedness that enables me to cherish each new day as a mother. He's grown. I've grown. We've grown together. All of the emotions that I'm feeling on his birthday eve is yet another day of being unprepared. Unprepared for the rollercoaster of mixed emotions I'm experiencing. The complete joy and gratitude for whats to come, joined with a sadness for all that has been and can never be again. I never knew I could love so fully. There is no greater love than that of a mother for her child. Thinking back to a year ago today, I knew my life was about to change forever - for the better. What I didn't know was that even on his own birthday, he gave me the best gift...him.

No comments:

Post a Comment