Wednesday, April 27, 2011

well baby

Cody had his 6 month well baby check up when we got back from vacation.  He was actually 6.5 months.  If you've seen my baby, you know he is long and thin.  I don't usually weigh him at home because I don't think it's very accurate.  If you would have asked me how much he weighed, I would have guessed around 14.5 - 15 lbs.  I was floored when he was on the scale and only weighed 13 lbs 7 oz!  He had only gained a little over half a pound from his 4 month visit...

Everything else looked good.  He was 26.5 inches long and his head is growing well.  While the Dr. checked him out, he mentioned twice how strong he is and also asked if he was always as happy as he was that day (yes).  He wasn't too concerned with his weight, but did give me a new feeding schedule to follow, adding in some formula to supplement.  Cody has had formula any time he has been babysat, because I just don't pump well, but he has not had it every day.  I was ok with it, but a little disappointed in myself because my milk wasn't enough. 

Cody has been doing great.  Although, I will admit that I have not been giving Cody as much formula as the Dr. asked.  He wanted two bottles a day, and when I'm home with him, I only give him one.  I mix his cereal with formula, though.  He gets solids 3 times a day, always after he nurses.  I can tell a difference in him, and I'm excited and nervous to go to our weight check on Friday.

I have a feeling that his weight wouldn't have been so low if I had introduced solids earlier, but like I've said before...I felt very strongly about not giving them to him before he was 6 months old.  He just wasn't ready.  He loves it now, but I believe that breastmilk or formula provide most of the calories and nutrients that they need, and I will never feed him solids before letting him nurse. 

Hopefully, I can post later this week that his weight is up, and we can stop supplementing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment